Fire Prevention Division
The Prevention Bureau is FD12’s division that works to produce an environment that promotes life safety awareness for our businesses, residents, visitors and our employees.
Below are the Bureau’s primary responsibilities:
- Commercial Inspections – FD12 currently has approximately 1,600 commercial occupancies. Inspections of these commercial occupancies are done twice a year. One visit is a pre-fire plan update in which basic information is checked for errors or changes. The second is a level one inspection where a thorough check of a property is completed and recommendations are made to correct any issues found. All visits are logged and collected information is entered into the department’s database. These visits have a very positive impact on the relationships that we have with our commercial occupants.
- Home Inspections – The division is available to fulfill any resident’s request for a home inspection. To make a request, please call their office at 985-892-5161 or fill out our contact form.
- Fire Investigations – The division investigates every working fire and assists law enforcement agencies and insurance companies by locating the origin and determining the cause of each fire, which helps keep insurance costs low for our constituents by helping to reduce insurance fraud through arson.
- Public Education – The division is committed to the education of the public we serve. We participate in a number of events from teaching safety classes to small groups of children, senior citizens, and local businesses, to large public events. Through these programs, the Bureau has distributed prevention materials to approximately 6,000 participants. If your group or organization would be interested in having the prevention bureau participate in your event, please call their office at 985-892-5161 or fill out our contact form.
- Smoke Detectors – Through our smoke detector program, the division will provide and install one smoke detector in a home. To request a smoke detector, please call their office at 985-892-5161 or fill out our contact form. A donation form is required to be completed at the time of the installation as these detectors are provided by the Operation Save-A-Life Program through the Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal.
As always, the Prevention Division strives to provide the most professional service while keeping the safety of FD12’s personnel and our public in mind.