The Prevention Bureau is FD12’s division that works to produce an environment that promotes life safety awareness for our businesses, residents, visitors and our employees.
Below are the Bureau’s primary responsibilities:
- Commercial Inspections – FD12 currently has approximately 1,600 commercial occupancies. Inspections of these commercial occupancies are done twice a year. One visit is a pre-fire plan update in which basic information is checked for errors or changes. The second is a level one inspection where a thorough check of a property is completed and recommendations are made to correct any issues found. All visits are logged and collected information is entered into the department’s database. These visits have a very positive impact on the relationships that we have with our commercial occupants.
- Home Inspections – The Bureau is available to fulfill any resident’s request for a home inspection. To make a request, please call their office at 985-249-5708.
- Fire Investigations – The Bureau investigates every working fire and assists law enforcement agencies and insurance companies by locating the origin and determining the cause of each fire, which helps keep insurance costs low for our constituents by helping to reduce insurance fraud through arson.
- Education – The Bureau is committed to the education of the public we serve. We participate in a number of events from teaching safety classes to small groups of children, senior citizens, and local businesses, to large public events such as BabyFest and Christmas at the Fire House.
Through these programs, the Bureau has distributed prevention materials to approximately 6,000 participants. If your group or organization would be interested in having the prevention bureau participate in your event, please call their office at 985-249-5708.
- Smoke Detectors – Through our smoke detector program, the Bureau will provide and install one smoke detector in a home. To request a smoke detector, please call their office at 985-249-5708. A donation form is required to be completed at the time of the installation.
- CPR/BLS Certification Class – The Bureau teaches a CPR/BLS (Basic Life Support) certification class on the first Saturday of each month at 9 a.m. at FD12’s headquarters. If you are interested in signing up for a class, you must call their office at 985-249-5708 two weeks prior to the class to register. A fee of $27 (which covers materials) will be collected on the day of the class.
As always, the Prevention Bureau strives to provide the most professional service while keeping the safety of FD12’s personnel and our public in mind.