Firefighters, worker injured in home fire

Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 1:00 am
By Debbie Glover St. Tammany News

A fire about noon Friday began when a natural gas line ignited in an attic on Hummingbird Drive in Tchefuncta Country Club Estates. The fire injured the plumber working at the new residence under construction and the insulation that was burned also irritated the skin of firefighters at the scene, who were later transported to St. Tammany Parish Hospital, said Fire District 2 Chief Mike Stein.

“There was smoke from the chemicals in the insulation but the guys had their gear on. Later, when taking their gear off, it brushed against their skin and they suffered skin irritation. Three firefighters were transported to the hospital from the scene and one was transported to the hospital from the fire station later that night,” Stein said.
The fire was contained to the attic, Stein said.

The plumber was treated by Acadian Ambulance at the scene, but refused transport to the hospital for further treatment. Stein said the plumber had received burns on his nose, face, arms and hands.

Construction of the house at the time of the fire was almost complete. The firefighters stayed at the site about three hours, Stein said. He thanked FD 4 and FD 12 who assisted with the call and Stein said FD 8 in Abita Springs helped the department Saturday by cleaning their gear in their commercial washers and dryers to get the insulation off.