FD12 Fire Structure Covington

FIRE DISTRICT 12 BATTLES STRUCTURE FIRE NEAR COVINGTON

By: James Hartman

St. Tammany Parish Fire Protection District No. 12 personnel responded this afternoon to a structure fire in which a mobile home and a large swath of woods were damaged.

At 1:52 p.m., a resident of 20473 Jefferson St., near Covington, called to report a trash fire out of control. Responding units arrived at 1:59 p.m. and found the skirting around the home catching fire from a burning pump shed. The shed had been ignited by an unattended trash fire.

The fire was under control at 2:08 p.m., with no injuries and no significant damage to the home. The pump shed was destroyed. Seventeen personnel responded with four engines, one rescue vehicle and five support vehicles.

It was the third structure fire in the last few months caused by an unattended trash fire.

“Our citizens need to be very careful when burning leaves and trash in their yards,” said FD12 Chief of Operations Mike Haley, who was on the scene. “No fire – whether in a kitchen, a fireplace, a grill, or a yard – should be left unattended by an adult. Fortunately, damage to this home was relatively minimal, but it could’ve been much, much worse.”