NOTICE OF A COMPETITIVE FIRE DEPARTMENT MECHANIC EXAMINATION
An examination will be given in approximately sixty (60) days, on a competitive basis to approved applicants to place names on the competitive employment list for the class of Fire Department Mechanic per the provisions of the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Law and the rules of the St. Tammany F.P.D. No. 12 Civil Service Board.
Applications for this examination may be found at www.ose.louisiana.gov, and by clicking on the “Competitive Applicants” link for All Other Competitive Applications. Click on the “Jurisdictions” link and then the St. Tammany FPD #12 link for the Classification Plans that list the requirements for admission to the test.
Completed applications and the required attachments (copy of driver’s license, birth certificate, and high school diploma/GED/college degree) must be received by the Civil Service Board Secretary at 19375 Hwy 36; Covington, Louisiana 70433 no later than Monday, May 3, 2021, at NOON. Approved applicants will be notified of the exact date, time, and place of the examination at least five (5) days before the examination date.
Unless otherwise specified, all requirements listed below must be met by the filing deadline for application to be accepted for admission to the examination.
- Must meet all requirements of the Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Law, including being a citizen of the United States and legal age.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license issued within the United States.
- Must present documentation indicating, at a minimum, that the applicant has met the minimum high school graduation requirements necessary to receive a high school diploma as established by the state of Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education. Such documentation shall include at least one of the following: high school diploma, high school transcript, certificate of equivalency, an affidavit from the issuing high school, college diploma, or college transcript, any one of which must indicate that graduation has occurred or a degree awarded. Certification of completion shall not be sufficient to substitute for certification of graduation.
- Must have at least two (2) years of experience in automotive and heavy truck repair.
- After an offer of employment, but before beginning work in this class, must pass a physical examination, the selection and administration of which shall be authorized by the Appointing Authority, designed to demonstrate good health and physical fitness sufficient to perform the essential duties of the position, with or without accommodation.
- Within the working test period, Probational Fire Department Mechanic:
- Must obtain Class B driver’s license with air brake endorsement.